Friday, December 16, 2005

In memory of a hero..... Stuart Adamson

Some people change the way you look at the world, I'd hate to think of what I would of turned out like if it wasn't for the music and lyrics (and gigs) of Stuart Adamson.

There's a group of people I know who would of ended up like the rest of the fuckwits and arseholes around us at the time, if it wasn't for the passion and honesty we learnt from people like him.

It's a shame I didn't get to talk with Stuart, it would of been nice to thank him for the experiences his music brought to me, both directly and indirect.

I'd never carried on drumming if it wasn't for Big Country, I'd never of met Linda either......and my cat would be nameless. Just about everything I did from age 13 upto 25 was influenced by Adamson's music.

I've deleted dozens of paragraphs from this post. No matter what I write it just doesn't do justice. In an odd kind of way, I think I now know what Stuart meant when he wrote the lyrics to "Eiledon"


Here's to you big fella....




The music I felt wasn't like the music I had grown up hearing, or rather, not like any one of them. It was all of them jumbled up and drawn into something I could understand as mine. I found I could play this music and connect the guitar directly to my heart. I found others who could make the same connection, who could see the music as well as play it. The sound made pictures. It spread out wide landscapes. Great dramas were played out under its turbulent skies. There was romance and reality, truth and dare. People being people, no heroes - just you and me, like it always is. The music told stories, little stories. Lands were not conquered, treasure was left in the tombs, the magic was in the everyday. We learned how we are together and how we come apart. Life happens.

Stuart Adamson
11 April 1958 - 16th December 2001



4 comments:

chux said...

so sad..........ur gonna bring eternal torment raining down on u!!

Delmonti said...

eh?

Is that one of your cult things?

Anonymous said...

Nice touch Dave, Passion and honesty,I liked that bit,
R.I.P The lad who walked the hill.
Goober.

meljoy said...

"top lass"

I dunno what that means! And I dunno who you're talking about in your post, so I didn't comment...